Sunday 30 August 2009

Pentatonic Scales

Unlike most guitarists, I've never really spent much time learning the common major and minor pentatonic scales. So I thought I'd better start. Even though I've not yet studied this area in depth, several things seem worth focussing on:

-the potential for creating musically exciting ideas based on a pentatonic scale beyond cliche blues licks, achieved through:
-->fluent linking of the common 2-note per string (NPS) shapes
-->creating 3nps patterns to help break out of the above
-->use of wider intervals and irregular rhythmic/accented groupings
-->use of all 3 pentatonic scales present within a key

-the explanation of more 'advanced' scales or modes through the idea of 'altered' or 'added to' pentatonic scales

Although initially building on the common 2nps patterns, I aim to keep this area of study as free from learning shapes as possible in a conscious effort to familiarise myself with and internalise note positions and intervals. As I think this area will provide the foundation for the explanation of many concepts considered to be more 'advanced' (and perhaps something of a 'safety net' for future improvisation), it is something I feel I should understand as fully as possible before considering more 'complex' (and sometimes academically favoured) approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment